WALT : carry out an investigation to compare and contrast crayon and chalk as media for art.
How does chalk leave a mark?
- You rub the chalk onto the paper and some of the powder from the chalk presses into the paper and makes a mark (Kate/Jaiden)
- The stick of chalk gets smaller as you draw because some is left behind on the paper (Katelyn)
- I think the chalk has has dried paint in it to make the colour (Thomas)
Is it the same as a crayon?
- The crayon leaves a mark in the same way.
Compare and contrast chalk and crayon
- Chalk is dusty and powdery
- Both can leave marks on your hand (Thomas)
- You can get crayon scrapings and rub them on the paper (Leo)
- Crayons are made out of wax and they are not powdery (Kate)
- The crayon leaves a brighter mark (Nikitah)...it leaves more colour
- You can change the marks to create different effects, like shadows, by using the tip or the side of the chalk (Rileigh-Kaye)
- To create different effects with the crayon you need to press soft or hard or go over the line heaps of times. (Chalotte and Ella)
- It is very difficult to mix crayon to make different colours (Katelyn)
- You can mix chalk colours when you smudge it (Nikitah)